The entire universe is in continuous motion. We are constantly travelling from one location to another for various reasons. It may be for company, enjoyment, or a number of other purposes that the twenty-first century has taken with it. As a result of this trend, we now have a demand for services that make those journeys more convenient for us. As a result, the tourism and hospitality management industry has expanded and career in hotel industry is booming.
The hotel management business, as everyone knows, made the best of it. The sector, as the backbone of this prosperous business, is redefining service industry norms in the new world. If it’s the softness of a fluffy bed or the range of flavours at the dinner table, the industry has everything a client wants. It has now become one of the most sought-after job areas in the world as a result of this expansion. Millions of workers are generated each year in the sector. However, a concern that emerges in the mind of those unfamiliar with the industry is what exactly is a job in hotel management.
What is Hotel Management?
The administration of everything relevant to the hospitality industry is referred to as hotel management. It is a scholarly field that includes a wide variety of topics relevant to the organizational facets of the hotel industry. This involves a thorough examination of all aspects of running a hotel, including marketing, hotel administration, catering management, guest management, housekeeping, accounting, and so on.
To summarize, a hotel management specialist is someone who has been qualified to fill any position in the hotel industry that might be needed. If you work in hotel management, for example, you would not only be familiar with the essence of the work performed by a hotel manager, but also with the work done by everybody else in the hotel, from the receptionist to the chef, who all work together to ensure the profitability of the company.
Hotel Management as a Career Option
The views on hotel management professions have changed significantly since the turn of the century. Previously, this service sector career was not viewed as a respectable occupation. Today, though, things have improved. Thousands of people enroll in hotel management schools around the world in the hopes of making it big in their chosen field. The earnings, the opportunity to travel the world, and the chance to work with celebrities. Many of these variables have resulted in such a drastic shift in the market perception of the industry.
Professionals in hotel management work in a number of areas. Hotel chains, merchant navy or cruise ships, corporate clubs, airlines, catering departments, tourism departments, hospitality management teams in numerous business enterprises, diplomats, government and private organizations, and so on are all examples of this. If you work in either of these fields, you can virtually guarantee that the quality of life will rise dramatically.
The most common Career in Hotel Industry options available to hotel management professionals in the industries mentioned above are given below:
- Hotel Manager
- Front Office Manager
- Banquet Manager
- Food and Beverage Manager
- Restaurant and Food Service Manager
- Housekeeping Manager
Pursuing a Career in Hotel Industry abroad has its own range of perks and rewards, including structured classes, a varied curriculum, state-of-the-art technology, and opportunities for foreign visibility. Any of the main benefits of taking such courses abroad are described below.
- Interacting with people from diverse backgrounds and languages provides special insight.
- A vast variety of universities around the world deliver quality education through their Hotel Management programs, with an emphasis on practical experience rather than academic expertise.
- Since this is a multinational business, you can become acquainted with how hotels are run in multiple countries.
- You’ll have access to a plethora of industrial employment opportunities, as well as hard and soft skills training.
- When all of the aforementioned aspects are combined, you will be able to form a solid professional network.
There are many interesting Career in Hotel Industry prospects after graduating with a Hotel Management degree, ranging from finance and defence to food processing. Apart from restaurants and hotels, there are a number of other Hotel Management positions available for recent graduates, including the following:
- Airline Catering
- Cruise Ship Hotel Management
- Hospital Administration & Catering
- Club Management
- Forest Lodges
- Hospitality services in various MNC’s
- Kitchen management
- (catering food and managing kitchens in factories, schools, offices, colleges, etc.)
- Hotel & Tourism Association
- Self-employment / Entrepreneur
- Tour Manager
- Food Stylist
Hotel Management – Courses
The next step is to engage in a field-related academic program. The majority of hotel management schools in the world offer a variety of undergraduate, postgraduate, and diploma programs. The preference should be based on the qualifications, skills, and desires of the applicant. We’re going to mention a couple of the most prominent hotel management courses in the country.
- Bachelor of hotel management (BHM)
- BSc in Hospitality and Hotel Administration
- Bachelor in Hotel Management and Catering Technology (BHMCT)
- BA in Hotel Management
- BBA in Hospitality, travel & tourism
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- Diploma in Cabin Crew Services and Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Hotel Management and Catering Technology
- Certification in hotel management
Hotel Management Course – Learning
By enrolling in a successful course at a reputable school, you are committing to learning everything there is to know about the industry. You will be educated on everything that happens in the industry, from housekeeping to hospitality etiquette. Food and beverage development, marketing and sales, employee and public relations, the legal structure of the hotel industry, and other topics are generally discussed in this course.
You will be allowed to select your speciality based on the course and college. Be highly vigilant when making this decision, as it will have a huge effect on your Career in Hotel Industry path. So, here are the few specializations that can be sought during a hotel management program.
- Sales and marketing
- Hotel operations management
- Client assistance
- Catering management
- Front office
- Food and beverages
- Restaurant management
- Security management
Hotel Management – Colleges in India
One thing to bear in mind when enrolling in a hotel management program is that not all colleges stick to the same set of requirements. As a result, choosing the university with the best facilities, faculty, and personnel is crucial. You can also confirm that the college you want delivers the path you want. Another benefit of attending a reputable institution is that you would have a higher chance of being hired by a better company.
Some of the reputed colleges/institutions in India are:
- Institute of Hotel Management, Nutrition and Catering (IHM), PUSA, Delhi
- Welcomgroup Graduate School Of Hotel Administration, Manipal
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition (IHM), Chennai
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition (IHM), Hyderabad
- Institute of Hotel Management, Catering Technology & Applied Nutrition (IHM), Mumbai
- Army Institute of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Bangalore
- Banarsidas Chandiwala Institute Of Hotel Management & Catering Technology, Delhi
- Institute of Hotel Management and Catering Technology (IHM), Bhopal
Hotel Management Courses – Eligibility
- One can choose from a full-time undergraduate degree to a diploma or certificate program in the industry, depending on the course of study. For all scenarios, you must have completed 10+2 for the university’s minimum requirements.
- A strong percentile in English proficiency tests like IELTS/TOEFL/PTE, etc. is expected for universities abroad.
- You will also need 2-3 years of job experience for postgraduate courses overseas.
- To pick candidates for these courses, most Indian universities hold entrance exams.
- Since interaction is such a vital feature of the profession, you must be fluent in English.
Hotel Management – Salary
We can only give you a vague response when it comes to the hotel management profession. Your pay can be determined by a number of factors, including the kind of work you do, who you work with, and where you work. And the pay differential between someone employed at a lower level in a ‘not so reputable’ organization in India and someone working at a higher level in a reputable organization in a European country, such as a hotel manager, may be immense.
The income plan after Hotel Management in India ranges from 2 lakhs to 20 lakhs per annum, depending on your level of experience. Some of the salary package as per job roles are:
- General Manager – 7 Lakhs to 14 Lakhs per annum
- Event Manager – 3 Lakhs to 6 Lakhs per annum
- Front Office Manager – 2 Lakhs to 5 Lakhs per annum
- Chef – 2 Lakhs to 6 Lakhs per annum
- Bartender – 1.5 Lakhs to 4 Lakhs per annum
- Food and Beverage Manager – 3 Lakhs to 6 Lakhs per annum
- Executive Housekeeper – 4 Lakhs to 9 Lakhs per annum
Hotel management is a profession in which you have complete control of your own fate. In this business, your reputation is determined by what you do and when you do it. Individual skills, in addition to academic qualifications, are extremely important.
You’ll need excellent organizational skills so having a good memory is helpful. If you are a good communicator and enjoy taking an interest in people and their stories, you are sure to enjoy the sociable aspect of working in a hotel.